Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Faith Alive!

A dad…a husband…a brother…a son…a child of God.  That’s me in a nutshell, with a lot of emphasis on the Dad!  When our seven kids were younger, I wanted to help them own the idea that everything we are, and therefore, everything we have, comes from God.  It was important to me that they know this, because it was through this revelation that I began to understand that I am called to a life of service.  Doris and I spent a good bit of time with our kids play-acting the Gospel readings, singing Bible-based songs, and visiting soup kitchens, Springfield Hospital, and nursing homes where we could all be in the service of others.

In the Year One Confirmation class we hosted a few days ago we were talking about the readings for February 9th where the themes are all about living one’s life in service to others so that we become a “light to the world” and “salt for the earth.”  In an object lesson using bowls of water, mirrors, and a flashlight, we talked about how the people who show their “light” to others do so by reflecting the love of Christ and living a life of service in many different ways. These people have recognized that they didn’t just receive their gifts and talents from their parents…they received them from God.  I think the group understood my meaning, and they wrote in their prayer journals ways that they hope to be light and salt for others.

While we were preparing for the class, however, I realized that my family doesn’t get out to places to physically serve others as often any more.  Yes, we make lunches for ESCAPE, casseroles for Our Daily Bread, and spend a lot of time planning and rehearsing for 5 p.m. Mass, and then playing at the liturgies.  But, it’s not the same as getting out and being with people who are needy or poor.  So, since in February we’re focusing on how “We LIVE our faith!” at SJCC, I’m going to try to get the family into situations to serve others outside of our parish.  My challenge to you this month is to think of one activity that you and your family can do to get out and serve someone else, then put it in a comment on this blog post.  In my next post I’ll share with you what the Gallaghers will try to do during February.  Keep on praying and living your faith!

Danny G.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is intended to stimulate and further Catholic adult education in the midst of the world today.

Comments should be expressed respectfully and be focused on moving the issues in discussion forward.