Sunday, February 23, 2014

Choose Holiness!


https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTt3HmK3m_MqscPdzBnjsmMW7u2VkOTNra2OEHnKd-h-fCg0gXOFgLast Sunday my group played the music at the 5 p.m. Mass, and, as usual, we played a  song before Mass.  We typically take the theme of the Scripture readings for the week and find a song that matches the theme, rehearse it, and play it before Mass begins.  This past week one of the main themes of the readings was that we have heard the laws and commandments in the Scriptures, but Jesus is calling us to step beyond just “obeying rules” and make a choice to live a holy life.  Our prelude song was written by Matt Maher and is titled, Just Like You.  The refrain to the song is:

I want to be holy just like you.  I want to go where you lead me to.
With reckless abandon to your truth, I want to fall deeper in love with you.

Reflecting on our Parish Pastoral Plan, I was thinking that there are many objectives and specific actions that we will try to complete over the next several years as our parish works on the five main “pillars” that call us to Pray, Live, Grow, Share, and Support our Faith.  The actions that we take related to the plan, if we find ways to participate, will certainly move our parish to a better place.
 
All of these actions will help us become more like the People of God that God wants us to be. But I believe these actions need to begin with each of us making a decision to be a disciple of Jesus.
 
As I work on being a disciple I might ask myself:
  • How can I become a more prayerful person?  How should I pray?
  • How can I live my faith in all the places I go?  What do I need to do?  How should I live?
  • How can I continue to learn about my faith and grow it?  Who can help me?
Returning to last week’s readings and the song we played, I believe this all boils down to a much bigger question:  can I make the choice to live a holy life?  If I choose to live my life in holy ways, the rest will fall in line with what Jesus wants for each of us. I think this is the change that will move our parish to become the place that God wants.  What do you think?

Danny G.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is intended to stimulate and further Catholic adult education in the midst of the world today.

Comments should be expressed respectfully and be focused on moving the issues in discussion forward.