Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Do You Have Five Minutes?


Darkness. Patience. Waiting. These are the main themes of Advent, and this is my Advent prayer. It’s dark when I get up and dark when I get home from work! I’m running out of patience with my inability to find the time to pray! I’ve decided to wait until after Advent to get into my Advent prayer!

OK…just kidding…but, only a little! But it sure is hard for me to make the time for prayer any time during the year…and this particular busy time of waiting for the birth of our Savior is especially difficult. So, what am doing about it?

The best advice I ever received about prayer came from my Spiritual Director at the time, Fr. Lowell Glendon. When I was complaining AGAIN about not following through to allow a good hour for my daily prayer, he spoke a little harshly to me and said,

“You talk about this all the time…just pray for 5 minutes! Commit to that time each day!”
So, his great advice was to start small…start in a way that allows you to be successful. Maybe you can build up to a longer prayer time period later! So, start small, sit quietly for a few minutes in the morning and give your day over to the Lord. Then, before bed at night, quietly consider all the events of the day and offer up the good and tough parts of your day and thank the Lord for the gift of life.

Thanks for reading! Let me know what you think! Until next time…I’ll pray that we all find (at least) five minutes a day to pray!

Danny G

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! Like anything we want to change in our life...start small and build on it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good things come in small packages, or so my daddy told me!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is intended to stimulate and further Catholic adult education in the midst of the world today.

Comments should be expressed respectfully and be focused on moving the issues in discussion forward.